Monday, November 08, 2004

Soma

I hate television.
The other day I saw an ad for Toys R Us. Those clever marketers equate toys with joy.
Toy, joy.
They rhyme.
That's the end of the relationship between the two.
What is it going to take for us to realize that our happiness is in no way associated with the things we possess?
When are we going to stop telling our young and impressionable that money equals joy?
It makes me sick.

This rant has a lot to do with Brave New World in which the children are thoroughly conditioned. I highly suggest that if any of you decide to read this book, also read Brave New World Revisited as it helps to clearly define the issues and concerns of the author.

By the way, November 26 is Buy Nothing Day.

I hope I don't sound too cynical. I'm glad I feel like I have hope for the future.
So, my concern isn't really the problems I see... I think my concern is that people just seem so blind and complacent.

End rant... now.

No comments: