Monday, December 27, 2004

the life aquatic

Boxing Day is over. I am so glad.
Here's my theory about Boxing Day:
Most people spend all their money before Christmas, giving the economy a nice little boost. The most reasonable thing would be for people to stop spending money when they have none left. But "they" (the industry? the economy?) just can't have that. And so "they" came up with a new ridiculous excuse to drag people into the malls - Boxing Day, conveniently right after Christmas.
Keeping the malls full.

Anyway, I have one more shift left, tomorrow. We're taking something in for all the people in the Mobility dept. because they have been fabulous.

Today feels really odd. I just got home from the cinema (cinema?). My dog seems to be missing.

Nine days. Scratch that, it's Monday now...
Eight days until Mexico.

A guy at work the other day told me I should be going to University instead of travelling. I replied, as if this was a scientific fact, "I will learn more in a month in Mexico than a year of school here."
I think it is true, if not scientifically proven.
How can anyone really learn when they're doing the exact same thing they've been doing all their life? It's by new experiences and circumstances that we learn to adapt, which is what emotional growth is all about.

P.S. Do you ever wish you could breathe under water?

3 comments:

Jordan said...

Good morning!
That's true about mexico. What movie did you go see? How come you never call?
I don't know about your boxing day theory though. It all sounds pretty good but it doesn't account for the fact that pretty much all of january and february people don't spend a single cent.
I think, instead of a reason to keep people in the malls, the boxing day ploy is designed to increase the strength of the years finish, giving what may abe a lacklustre ecomony a hale and hearty finish for the year.

erin said...

breathing under water would be very helpful for surfing. last week we played a game called loaded questions and one question was 'what super power have you always wanted?' one person's answer was breathing under water. mine was the ability to teleport.

britt said...

Jh.D:
Well, you've outdone me with your economic conspiracy bibble-babble. You win. To answer your questions - The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, and because you were sick and I am extremely paranoid about getting ill right before I go to Mexico.

Erin:
Teleportation is a really great skill. I mean, superpower. If I was being teleported there, I bet I wouldn't have a stop-over in Los Angeles.



Oh, and by the way - I found my dog.