Thursday, January 20, 2005

We're Concentrating On Falling Apart

Today was... a day.
A really good/really bad day.

First, it was beach day. Only my second one since I've been here. It was so great. The water was a little calmer so I had a chance to get comfortable on the surfboard. I caught my first real wave and rode it all the way to the shore. But I forgot to stand up. After that I was super psyched but, alas, there were no more good waves.
We ate some food up at the restaurant. Our plan was to watch the sunset but there really wasn't one. It was fun just the same.
Everyone left and Erin, Jeremiah, Alex and I walked up the road to take the bus.
But no buses came.
Apparently they don't come out that far after 6. We sat on the side of the road waiting for a long time talking until we finally clued in that a bus wasn't coming.
Jeremiah kept saying stuff like, "This is so great! We're stranded. In Mexico. And we just went surfing. In Mexico!" I took pictures of everyone's excited-to-be-stranded-in-Mexico faces.
Finally a taxi came and after negotiating a fare to Rico's, a little cafe in the Golden Zone, we hopped in and slid the surfboard across us through the side windows.

The funny thing is that we were having a party tonight. And we were very late for our own party.

From Rico's we got picked up by some people who were planning on coming to the party. They have the cutest little Westfalia that we all crammed into.

The party was actually at Russel's house. It was a Napoleon Dynamite party (Last night Erin and I tried to pick up some food for this party. Apparently you can't buy tater tots in Mexico. Figures.). There were 21 of us in that little, tiny apartment. I wasn't really looking forward to seeing it for the sixth time, but it was hilarious somehow.

So we were having a grand ol' time.
But then...

First I have to explain that Russel lives in a huge house that is split up into little apartments. Laura and Ashley, also from Calgary, are renting one of the downstairs apartments.
They went downstairs for something and realized that they had been robbed. They think it was when they went to use a payphone and left the door unlocked for a minute. Ashley's wallet and camera are gone. The camera had all the pictures from their trip so far on it. At first they thought that a set of keys had been stolen, which freaked them out, but they found the keys.
I feel really bad for them. We all helped search the apartment and then we looked around the neighborhood for a bit to see if they threw out Ashley's wallet. They have been really sick for the past couple of weeks - they were just starting to feel better - and now this.

And then I just got an email from my parents saying that an old family friend from Fernie passed away last night.

So, yes, it was a day.

No comments: