Monday, September 27, 2004

Broke and I'm Breaking

I'm severely unemployed. You might think that one could only be employed or unemployed but I believe there are degrees of employment. My lack of money puts me in the "severely unemployed" category.
Work (not the act itself, more the setting) makes me anxious. Besides, I can't work on Sundays, Tuesday- and Thursday nights, Wednesdays or Saturday mornings. Most employers just love that. If I was more motivated, I would be self-employed. Or is that like saying 'if I could drive, I'd be a professional racer'?
So that is (or should be) my focus for the next while: getting a J-O-B.
How long have I been saying that?

I was wondering how I have become one of the Great Procrastinators.
Inherited? I don't think so. My parents are quick to make decisions and get things done. To illustrate: the other week (how's that for vague?) I heard talk of kitchen renovations. Today tile has replaced the horrible linoleum (circa 1970), the dark wood cabinetry is now white, the ceiling is painted and there are new light fixtures. The majority of this change has occured within the span of three days.
Okay, so point made: my tendency to procrastinate is not inherited.
So it must be learned.
I think I can conveniently blame the educational system for this.
Thanks for nothing, school... thanks for nothing.

I have an absurd number of boxes in the basement (probably because I have never bothered to fully unpack in the year that I have lived in this house - stupid learned procrastination), all of which I could throw out and not miss in the least. But alas, I must sort through them. I found a bunch of books that I'm saving. One is a biography of Nikola Tesla. Very interesting. Other than that, I'm mostly throwing everything out.
Ah, to be relieved of clutter.

No comments: